Monday, March 28, 2011

Zombie In The House

I don't know where the weekend went. It went by so quickly. Right now it's all a foggy memory. I did some running, got some errands done, carted my kid around and visited my doctor. Last night, I took a muscle relaxer and welcome to zombie day!

Friday night I finished the W2D1 (Week Two, Day One) of C25K (Couch to 5K) training and surprisingly it felt easy. Several times I wanted to run longer and faster but I resisted the urge. I have to keep it slow. My daughter was at a dance so I planned to jog and cross-train at the gym for an hour before leaving to pick her up. Well, she called 45 minutes early because "Mom, the DJ is horrible and I'm BORED out of my mind!" SO, because I'm whipped I rushed to finish the run and didn't cross train. Saturday I rested me and my back. Last night, after a full day of errands, I wanted to finish the day with a workout. I didn't realize the gym closed early on Sundays, so I had to rush to get there and only had 30 minutes to complete W2D2. Fortunately, I did it but again it was rushed and stressful. This time I struggled at every minute. And again, there was no time for cross training, hence the continued back pain and medication.

I've lived with back pain for a long time. I've seen chiropractors, had x-rays, whined, stumbled around, plugged up heating pads and donned my body with stinky Bengay. I had resigned myself to live with it before I decided to take control. One of my healthy lifestyle goals is to live without back pain. Unfortunately, my core is so weak that my back is even more inflamed because of all the new exercise. So, my doctor prescribed hydrocodone for pain and cyclobenzaprine for my tight and sore muscles. I was so happy last night when I popped that cyclobenzaprine. Woohoo!! and GOOD NIGHT! Well, this morning, I woke up and holy hell people, I was a zombie! Long story short, after I drove my precious daughter to school (bad idea!) I ended up passed out for two hours in my car like a drunk. And, six hours later, I'm still recovering.

Race Day: 9:00 AM, May 7, 2011

Tonight, cross training at the gym to strengthen my core. I haven't have signed up for a 5K yet but I have one on my radar. The Willow Glen 5K Run and Walk which is in six weeks. The C25K training is 9 weeks, so I'll have to push myself to get done. After some research last night it seems that 5Ks are held in the Spring and late Summer. So if I don't run in a 5K in May I'll have to wait until August to run, which I don't want to do.

Stayed on plan with food all weekend. This afternoon I walked to the local deli to get a large iced tea and on my way I thought about their yummy cookies and told myself how I deserved one because I've been feeling like crap all day. It's amazing how those old habits so easily invade my brain. I reminded myself that the reward is to avoid the cookie and satisfy myself with my healthy goals.

1 comment:

  1. You go, you 5k, healthy eater, exerciser, taximom, druggie girl!! You just GOOOO!!

    ReplyDelete