Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pizza, Like Healthy Pizza

I have a carnivore and vegetarian in my house. And then there's me, who falls somewhere in the middle. I'm always looking for ways to satisfy the whole family. We all love pizza, so why not create healthy pizza we all can customize.
Lavash Pizza by rkellywhite
Half of a serving. Delicious and healthy pizza.

Here's my Pizza, Like Healthy Pizza everyone will love.

1 sheet Lavash, based on California Lavash
1 tbsp. pesto
1 half pear, sliced thin
3 ozs. ham, sliced thin
4 crimini mushrooms, sliced thin and sauteed
1/4 c. part-skim ricotta cheese
2 cups spring lettuce mix
2 tsp. homemade balsamic vinaigrette
sprinkle of red chili flakes

All of these ingredients are completely interchangeable. This is what I had in the fridge and pantry tonight so this is what I made. The one constant is the California Lavash bread which I buy from Whole Foods. I've used the white and wheat variety and like both. I lean towards the white only because it feels like I'm cheating when really I'm not. Each sheet of lavash is one serving for this recipe. The picture in this post is half a serving. You can buy lavash bread almost anywhere. The calories will change based on what lavash bread you buy.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. I know that seems like a high temperature but it has to be a hot oven. Lay the lavash on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Toast in the oven for approximately 5 minutes then flip the lavash for an additional 5 minutes. If you skip this step you will have a limp and soggy crust. If you walk away from the oven you will have a burned crust.

After the lavash is toasted spread the pesto very thinly over your crust. Add the rest of the ingredients in the order given, except the spring salad mix and vinaigrette. A note regarding the cheese; I use part-skim ricotta because I think it has great flavor and texture. I don't like any of the low-fat shredded cheese I've found in stores so I substitute part-skim ricotta and really love it.

Put the pizza in the oven long enough to warm the ingredients and crisp up the exposed edges of the lavash bread. Again, don't walk away from your oven! While the pizza is baking, toss the spring lettuce with the vinaigrette. Take the pizza out of the oven and top with the salad greens. Top with a sprinkle of red chili flakes.

Lavash Pizza Eating by rkellywhite
You can see all of the ingredients, layered through the pizza.
I've made this pizza many times with different toppings, sauces and cheeses. The variety really is endless. My daughter prefers pizza sauce with tomatoes, kalamata olives and feta. My girlfriend likes meat with very little red sauce, cheese and a vegetable of choice. At the end of the meal everyone is full and happy.

One serving, 554 Calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment